Monday, February 22, 2010

BP9_2010023_Web2.0Tool3-Instructables







Well looking through the link WebTools4U2Use, I came across an article titled, “Top 50 Web 2.0 Tools for Info Junkies, Researchers, and Students.” One of the Web 2.0 tools in that article was categorized as a learning Web 2.0 tool – Instructables at http://www.instructables.com/.


This site’s purpose is to give do-it-yourself instructions on how to build or make many things related to a variety of categories. The have step by step directions, some even have pictures and video. The categories range from arts, crafts, kids, cooking, science and technology. As soon as I saw it had a section on science I was hooked. Looking through the science section provided many useful instructions on building items at a much cheaper cost, and I could use them in my science classroom. I was interested in the DIY instructions on building a Van de Graaff generator. At my previous school district I had one of these available to use and it always captured the students’ interest in a unit for static electricity/electricity. I have always wanted to buy one, but they are rather expensive. When I looked at the directions it had plans that I think I could follow, it also had a section listed next to it titled, “related.” This section gave images and brief heading of other similar instructions. I found one that provided instructions to a hand held Van de Graaff generator, and I think I am going to try building it.

For teachers the site Instructables has many possibilities. It gives directions on how to make many useful things for a classroom, and you will save money in the process. There are sections for art, technology, kids, music, outdoors, science, tech, green, and many others. Looking through them I see many examples of how teachers could take the instructions and build things to use in their classroom, and many of them would be great for students to do as well. The one thing that I really liked about the site is that is has many instructions for items in each category. In the science category in had nearly 200 items. It also had guides in the science section to lead the user to similar topics. Science had sections on science fair projects, high voltage and catapults – just to name a few. Although I feel this would mostly benefit teachers by giving them directions to many different things. The students could also use this. For students, the section on science fair projects would be a great tool to give them ideas and help. I could see students finding a science fair project and asking questions to clarify directions. I could also see students creating original science fair ideas and posting them to this site, and then being the ones to answer questions.




When I first started looking through this site it didn’t seem like a typical Web 2.0 tool, because it doesn’t have a real-time collaborative feature. However, I did find many social features that allow for collaboration. It has a community section that has forums for each of the listed categories. You can post questions or answers responses. It has a marketplace, and a help section as well. The user can receive RSS feeds or sign up for an email feature that lets them know when new material is in their selected category. When viewing the Instructables for specific items it has features that allow you to post the link to your Facebook, Twitter, Email, Embed or Print PDF. The PDF feature you must me a paying member to use though. You can also post comments to the article, ask questions, or answer questions posed by others. Users can also submit their own Instructables. The more time I spend in this site, the more I like it.


Mini Van De Graaf... M & M style! - More DIY How To Projects

2 comments:

  1. Tim:
    I found instructables about a year ago, long before I knew Web2.0 existed. I have been receiving regular updates from them. I really love the site. They have some really great ideas and several I would like to try when I finally have some time. The creativity that is shown by the contributors is unbelievable.It is definitely a science teachers dream. They have a no nail book shelf that I want to try, I don't see how it works, but they show it with a whole wall full of books. Maybe once I have finished the masters, I can try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, this is really cool. The first thing I looked at was the music section of course. Someone had posted detailed instructions on how to sound-proof your home studio. The next post described how to build a Djembe, African style drum. These instructions got right down to the level of how to choose an appropriate tree to carve the drum from!

    While the last thing I need at the moment is another project on the list, I must admit spending more time here than I had intended. I'm sure I'll be back for more. Thanks for digging this out of the Web.

    ReplyDelete