Saturday, February 6, 2010

BP2_2010021_Educational Uses for Blogs


When I first started looking through the assignments for my Emergent Technologies in a Collaborative Culture (EMT) class, I wasn’t thrilled to see ones that included blogging. I have never blogged myself, or even looked at a blog, so this was a completely new adventure for me. My impression of blogging was that it was just an online form of a diary that others could read. I also heard of others that used it to rant about whatever came across their mind, whether they were qualified to assess the topic or not. After spending sometime researching and preparing to write my own blog, my opinion has changed dramatically.

The first article I found on blogs was written by Alison Sawmill and titled, “Classroom Blogging: What is the Role in Science Learning?” Since I teach science, this article was of particular interest to me. I was surprised to read all the uses for blogs that could be incorporated into a science classroom; and in particular, ones that I could see myself doing. Sawmill discussed using it for prior learning, collaboration on projects, and to teach scientific concepts; not to mention it captures their interests, and can be used to differentiate instruction (Sawmiller, 2010). This article got me thinking of how I might use it in my classroom. I know that my students like to share their stories when I start a new topic. This would allow all of the students to share their stories with the entire class, and I wouldn’t have to limit it to just a few. I have tried having the students write these as well, but that usually takes the fun out of it. By allowing them to use the computers, which they already want to do, it would keep the fun in.

I have also found through reading some blogs that these are more than people ranting and writing online diaries. I find them to be more of a collaboration of ideas and experience. I now see educational blogging more like the teacher across the hall that teaches the same subject that you do, the one that you go to for advice. Except now that advice comes to you and can include advice from educators across the country, or even world. You gain more ideas and have greater experience to draw from.

Sawmiller, A. (2010). Classroom Blogging: What is the Role in Science Learning?. Clearing House, 83(2), 44-48.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, Tim. I would love to hear about it if and when you chose to use blogs in your classroom. I hope the more you use and share this month, the more possibilities will open up for you and your students.

    ReplyDelete