Monday, February 8, 2010

BP4_2010021_Web_2.0


I had a hard time with discovering a Web 2.0 tool that I wanted to use in my class. Since I teach science, I wanted to find something specifically science based. I was trying to find a tool that fit my exact needs, instead of adapting the tool to fit my needs. There was only one tool that I found, Ecoloko, that had a science theme to it, but it wasn’t in English and I couldn’t hear any audio from it. So I gave up that tool rather quickly. I did find another tool that I really liked named YUDOmagic. I start out many of my science classes with a science demonstration that many of my students think is magic, but then explain the science behind it. I thought if students could learn some magic from this site they could be the one doing the class demonstration; however, after looking at their tutorial vault I found that they have to few to be feasible – only 9 tutorials. I do think this tool has a lot of potential if it gets a larger library of tutorials. I finally elected to go with gliffy at http://www.gliffy.com. This is an online diagram tool that be used individually or in collaboration.

I decided to go with gliffy because my older students do a lesson on drawing a house to scale. One of the assignments I have them do is to create their dream house. We then take that house and scale everything to an appropriate scale. The big problem I have with this assignment is with the students who don’t like or want to draw. They will usually just put a bed, couch and TV in their house. I always set a minimum requirement for the number of items needed in the house, and those students that don’t like to draw (or say they can’t draw) usually only do the minimum. Gliffy has Floorplan software that would be perfect for adapting this assignment. I could have the students work in groups to collaborate the design of their dream house. This tool would allow them to work together on every part of the house, or build sections individually. It also has a library of shapes that will really make their dream house look dreamy – it would have everything including the kitchen sink. I like how this has shapes that include the type of floor covering, fireplace, and most items you would find in a typically house. It allows the user to resize, rotate, and incorporate images of their own. They can add windows, doors, and walls to their design, which is key to designing a realistic house. What I find is students usually spend two or three days drawing their dream house because they make so many changes and try to create realistic drawings. Gliffy would give them the ability to have their house designed in a day. They could then take this dream house and actually create a hand drawn scale model. I think that the students would draw images more like this program – ones that architects would use. That would cut down on the time they spend with their objects in their actual drawing.

I did design most of a house and felt that it is very simple tool to use once you get the hang of it. It would be nice if it had some tools besides the grid to help align wall ends and other items you put in the house-something that automatically aligns and/or centers. With a few minutes of practice I believe my students would have no problem creating a masterpiece.

There are also some added abilities that gliffy has. I think the only other aspect I would be able to incorporate with my students in the flowchart. They could use that feature to plan out projects or brainstorm about topics. The tools would easily be adaptable for those purposes. I also think it would be possible to use this tool to create an assignment of directions. I could have them use the Floorplan software to show how to get from one part of our school to the other. They could use this to show visual directions and then include written ones later. I don't see my students using the network diagrams, wireframes/UI mockups, business process, SWOT analysis, or UML.

2 comments:

  1. Tim,
    I also had a problem finding a web tool that I could use. I explored the Ecolko website. I found it interesting. To get the English, there is a small + in the upper right corner that will give you a choice of language. However, to play, you need to sign up and pay before it will give you English in the game.
    I also like the Gliffy site. I felt there were some interesting things that could be done with it. I had planned an Project Based Learning unit for my intervention students last year. We were unable to do it because of scheduling problems, but I could see how this program would help in designing the landscape feature for the school. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find and uses for Gliffy!

    ReplyDelete